Thursday 8 January 2015

A Rant and a Review : Nail Polishes from Revlon and Rimmel

The rant: 

A few days back I received a parcel from a reputed Indian beauty site (read Nykaa.com) with a trio of nail polishes. While two of those polishes were intact, the bottle of the third one(and by far my favourite) was broken and the contents were oozing out of it. I contacted their customer care and they offered replacement or money back, I opted for the latter. Two mails later I still haven't heard a word from them!
Has anybody else come across such unfortunate circumstances while shopping at Nykaa? I'd like to know what my next steps should be and whether they worked for you!
Just to clarify, I have shopped before at Nykaa, and this is the first time I'm facing such a problem from their end. :(

Anyway I ended up buying the Rimmel Lycra Pro Professional Finish Nail Polish again from a local drugstore! The things I do for pretty nails! *sigh*
Now to the review part. I got the Rimmel Lycra Pro Professional Finish Nail Polish in shade Beige Style(365) and Revlon Colorstay Longwear Nail Enamel in the shade Fall Mood. (pictures below)



  • Rimmel Lycra Pro Professional Finish Nail polish lives up to its name, in the sense that it truly gives a professional clean cuticle finish. That's right no clean up is required afterwords (and I, my friends, am a clumsy, clumsy person when it comes to nail polishes!). It has something to do with the brush I believe. It's a maxi brush and thicker and stubbier than the Sally Hansen ones. It coats the nail in one stroke and is an amazing life-saving little equipment! I am so keeping this brush, it paints like a dream. The drying time is also less compared to the Maybelline Color Show polishes.

The Colour & Formula: Beige style is a classic nude colour and goes with every outfit you can think of. It looks more posh and expensive than it costs. It gives a sheer colour in one coat and goes opaque in two coats.
(picture taken at the 9th day mark)

The Staying Power: Rimmel claims that it stays for upto 10 days. While I like to switch up my nail polish every few days (or keep my nails unpolished to let them breathe, it's important ladies!), I kept this one on for 10 whole days for testing purposes. Now it does stay on for 10 days with minor chipping at the top edges of the nail. But since every polish does that on my nails, I can't exactly tell you whether it's the polish or simply my wayward nails. The shine does go away within a couple of days though.

The Verdict: Priced decently at Rs. 255, it is worth every penny. The colour payoff, the staying power and the brush, especially the brush make it an amazing buy! I wholeheartedly recommend it.

The Rating: 4.7 out of 5 (for the dullness of nails after day 2)



  • Revlon Colorstay Longwear Nail Enamel in the shade Fall Mood is a beautiful holiday shade. It is a part of the new and revamped Colorstay Longwear nail polishes from the house of Revlon. And yet again, the brush, is the hero in this one as well! The handle of the brush is long and it helps to grasp the brush securely while painting the nails.
The Colour & Formula: It is a slightly holographic-y copper/rose-gold/bronze-y foil polish which looks different depending on the lights and the angle it is viewed in. It is a very beautiful shade and apt for the fall. With the holidays lined up, I can see why this particular shade is a hit among the masses. The formula of this polish is to die for. The tapering wide brush provides fluid motions, and the polish itself is a one coater. Whereas two coats definitely adds a subtle depth to the colour.
I did notice a bit of grittiness on my nails after about 2 days though, but it was nothing too concerning.

The Staying Power: According to Revlon website, the nail polish lasts for upto 11 days and provides gel-like shine. While I can vouch for the shine, however, unfortunately the staying power isn't that amazing. I should probably mention here that I tested out both the nail polishes without a top and a base coat, so I'm hoping that it'd last a tad longer with the base coat. The polish started chipping from the top and bottom edge after 6 days, one might argue that it is still pretty decent staying time.

The Verdict: The pocket pinch is Rs.350 in case you were wondering. I'd say the colour payoff and the colour itself is pretty darn good. However 350 bucks for a nail polish seems a bit too extravagant (for a student at least!). Do go for it during a Revlon sale, you wouldn't want to miss out on this colour. 

Buy Revlon Colorstay Nail Enamel, Fall Mood 20, from Amazon.in

The Rating: 4.2 out of 5 (only if it stayed a little longer without chipping)

Till next time, Stay Beautiful :)



No comments:

Post a Comment